Author Posts

November 11, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Currently no appeal process as I understand it except High Court -injunction. What are the views out there on need for appeal process in the regs.

November 12, 2014 at 11:41 pm

It’s simply ridiculous, as a matter of procedure, that there’s no facility to appeal.

It’s even more ridiculous when you consider that, quite often, the people deciding on whether you can proceed with your event or not don’t really have the competency with which to make informed decisions on same.

November 13, 2014 at 4:12 pm

I think there should be an appeal process in place but those that decide should be independent to the original groups and perhaps independent to the applicable Local Authority.

November 13, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Unquestionably there is a real need for an appeals process.  However in order for any appeals process to be applicable, firstly there needs to be a defined timeframe by which a decision is made.  But I guess that’s a story for another thread here!

It really is difficult to suggest an appeals process that will be functional and fit for purpose.  In my experience, it is best for all concerned when “draft conditions” are communicated to the applicant in advance of the licence being issued.  This allows for negotiation/rewording before the conditions become “law”.  It’s a very practical way of pre-empting difficulties but obviously requires flexibility from all concerned.  Ultimately this is not a solution to the lack of an appeals process though.