Author Posts

November 5, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I would like to put forward a suggestion that organisers no longer have to place ads in local and national newspapers.  I firmly believe that newspapers have become antiquated and that notifications should be put up on a national “public events” website so that all stakeholders can easily access the information and organisers aren’t paying hefty advertising rates.

Leading on from that I would like to put forward the suggestion that a National Public Events website is developed.

http://eiai.ie/home/wiki/planning-and-development-licensing-of-outdoor-events-regulations-2001/5-newspaper-notice/

November 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Just thinking out loud. . . is the ‘essence’ of why the requirement to advertise exists, that people who wouldn’t otherwise be clued into your event may come across it and, thus, be informed. It may impact them but, otherwise, they may not have known of it.

A central repository / website with notice of all public events would be great (for ALL sorts of reasons) but would it actually do what the newspaper ads are supposed to do?

Is expecting members of the public to regularly check a National Public Events website to see if there’s anything planned for their locality that impacts them fair and realistic?

Or, is that even the POINT of the ads? Open to clarification on that.

P.S. nice to see the site live.

November 5, 2014 at 6:29 pm

Lol we could place ads in all the newspapers informing the general public of the change of location! We have to prepare for the future!

November 5, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Yup. Sounds like a perfect solution. I’m sold.

November 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Plus, I think it would be far more comprehensive than leaving it up to the organiser to pick and choose with regard to publications,I think it is fair to say that the general public do not purchase a copy of each national newspaper each day! So there is a good chance that theyare missing some advertisements regardless.  I know this has happened on a lot of public events that I have been involved with, particularly when it comes to local businesses.

Having it online and utilising social media etc. will ensure that people who want to know can subscribe and be kept in the loop without having to go looking for ads.

November 5, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I do take your point and, like I said, I reckon there are a lot of advantages to having the type of website you’re describing.

I just think there are multiple audiences we’re trying to communicate with. Those who are interested, as you say, can subscribe. But there’s (currently, at least) a requirement to make a reasonable attempt to inform those who may have no interest but may be impacted. The onus is on the event organiser to try to let THEM know. I don’t know if this type of website would do that.

It’d do plenty, but perhaps not that?

November 7, 2014 at 9:18 am

Regarding notifying the public of eventsin newspapers, I think a more personable, direct contact method of informing people of events taking place in their locations is the way foward. Yes, it may require extra human resources but you cannot argue with having a clear discussion with communities & their opinions on what happends in thier localities. Even if notices are placed into all news papers, or on a website, it does not mean that the information will reach people in thire local. Is it not just plain manners to discuss in person?

November 7, 2014 at 11:17 am

I totally agree that consultation in person etc. is the best way to go – when possible, but when you’re  dealing with large scale public events and trying to notify Dublin City  or any other large area it would be very difficult to actually achieve that. We do large meetings for residents and businesses but that usually takes place much nearer to the event and isn’t mandatory.

My problem is that we have placed the advertisements before and then found that businesses and residents haven’t seen the ads in the newspaper and were really angry about it (particularly businesses who may be affected by the event).  To make things worse they couldn’t even find the advertisement retrospectively.

November 7, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I agree that the newspaper ads aren’t an ideal solution.  Broadly speaking it really is the local community that the “essence” of the information dissemination is trying to attract.  Therefore one could seriously question the need for a National newspaper advert.  The reach of local papers is probably more relevant (and cheaper obviously).  Any online element to me is probably best dealt with through publication on the relevant Local Authority website, similar to the way residential planning applications are listed.

A practical alternative solution would be a notice sign(s) at/near the proposed venue.  This is far more likely to be seen than any newspapers or online ads.

November 9, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I believe the requirements re publishing an ad in newspaper is very much connnected with the general legal requirements of written notifications associated with many pieces of legislation and public notification. I do take the point that newspapers are no longer as popular a source of obtaining news but they are still considered to be a news source that is accessible to everyone. With the cost of many of them that is arguable! In the case of events it is very  much notification for those in the area who might be impacted by the event so is there  a better way to this? – well a national application portal a bit like etenders for example, where event license applications are uploaded could definitely work if in addition to general access, it operated a notification system a bit like etenders so as an example if you live near Croke Park, you could select to be notified of events applied for at Croke Park. This website could be linked to all local authority websites. Published notices in the area impacted upon by events is also worth considering however the area impacted by an event can often be vast. However use of local libraries, shops could support this. Dedicated JC Decaux type info panels updated simlar to VMS signage could be an option for cities and larger venues.  These “community boards” for larger venues could be funded by the venue and if they could be used as general community info point then they could be part of a community benefit from the venue to the area.  The greatest cost re the advertising is the cost of ads in national newspapers. Local newspapers are not as costly.  Living in a rural area I find VMS, the good old sign on the roadside and the free community newspaper is how people find out about events. No matter what you do lots of people will not hear about your event however I reckon some of the suggestions above would reach a wider audience than newspaper ad.